One of my favorite Petworth events kicks off its sixth season at the Petworth Rec Center this evening. The free Petworth Jazz Project offers music for kids and adults, yoga, professional dance and food, and one of the best opportunities to hang out with your neighbors. Of course I'll be there with my camera, like some neighborhood wedding photographer prowling the crowd.
"Kicking off the season on Memorial Day weekend is always a ton of fun and packed with neighbors," said Petworth Jazz Project organizer Tom Pipkin. "This seasons opener with the Petworth Dance Project and a BBQ truck, plus the regularly scheduled kids show, jazz performance AND a yoga session, offers something for everyone. Looking forward to another great run on the lawn — get there early, it's going to be packed!"
This year the Petworth Jazz Project will present an all women-led series featuring Lynn Veronneau of Véronneau, Lena Seikaly, Heidi Martin Halima, Cecily Alexa Bumbray and Rochelle Rice!
Here's tonight's lineup. Hope to see you there!
May 28th (Sponsored by Phil and Fruzsina Di Ruggiero of GreenLine Real Estate, LLC)
- YOGA: 5pm-6pm: Lighthouse Yoga Center Community Yoga Session, all ages and abilities!
- KIDS: 6pm-6:45pm: Marsha Goodman-Wood
- DANCE: 7pm-7:45pm: Petworth Dance Project Presents: Kalanidhi Dance, Nancy Havlik Dance Performance Group, Countess Winfrey
- JAZZ: 8pm-9pm: Véronneau w/ Company Danzante
- FOOD: 5pm-8:30pm: Hardy's BBQ Foodtruck
For weather-related updates (and season schedule info) follow the Petworth Jazz Project:
Gentle Reminders: Per DPR policy, no pets, smoking, or alcohol allowed. Good vibes, good times, and great music are okay though!