At 3am on Saturday morning, June 24th, Jenny Gomez woke up to thick smoke and a three-alarm fire raging at her apartment building on the 1300 block of Peabody Street. She managed to get out of the apartment, even as she lost all of her clothes and possessions. One man, a father of a young child at LAMB charter, perished in the blaze.
Two hundred residents have lost their homes and been displaced because of this horrible fire, and they could use the help of the community. Almost everyone was lucky and made it out alive -- except one man who lost his life.
"I was screaming help, help," said Jenny Gomez, who managed to escape from her third floor apartment with only her purse and pajamas. (wjla)
Below is a list of various groups, non-profits and GoFundMe campaigns that have been setup. Please consider donating your time, and if possible, money, to help those who have lost their homes. Petworth News has tried to verify these donation sites, but always do your homework.
An emergency shelter has been set up at Emery Recreation Center (5701 Georgia Ave NW) for families displaced by the fire. People are being asked to NOT bring donations directly to the Rec Center, and instead donate to the Red Cross.
- The American Red Cross asks for cash donations at 1-800-REDCROSS or www.redcross.org.
- Bancroft Elementary are collecting donations over the next week. The temporary location of Bancroft is 4300 13th St NW (the old Sharpe Health School). They are accepting gift cards, clothing, and non-perishable foods. Bancroft is also collecting donations via
- Capital City PCS is collecting monetary donations. Three school families were affected by the fire. You can support those families via their GoFundMe page.
- Carlos Rosario Public Charter has a fundraising page set up to assist families of their student.
- Center City Charter in Brightwood has a GoFundMe set up to help students affected by the fire.
- The DC Community Action Collective is looking to engage in longer-term support, including clothing, food, furniture, and other support, as needs develop. If you are or know someone affected by the fire who needs additional assistance, contact the group.
- LAMB PCS is collecting monetary donations. The individual who died in the fire was the parent of a LAMB student, and the entire family has been displaced. You can donate directly to this family via a PayPal link.
- Powell Elementary has set up a GoFundMe to support three of their students' families that lost their home in the fire.
- Alfie's Thai Restaurant is hosting a fundraiser for one of their staff who lost her apartment and all of her possessions. On Sunday, July 2nd from 9pm-12am they are donating 100% of bar proceeds to help our Jenny Gomez. There is also a GoFundMe set up to help Ms. Gomez.
If you know of other efforts to help the displaced residents and families, please leave them in the comments below and we'll add them to this article.
Much thanks to DC Fire and EMS for doing their amazing jobs every day. #heroes.