The 14th and Kennedy Street Farmer's Market starts its season this Saturday, May 13th. (5501 Colorado Avenue, NW, Washington, DC.
NEW this week: Check out all of the new vendors and say hi to your friends and neighbors while you enjoy our great produce farmers loved around the city.
- LuvPlatesis our new hot food vendor this season!
- I Confect is back for 2017, making their first appearance of the year. Made in Union Kitchen Ivy City, DC, I Confect specializes in treats and baked goods using all natural ingredients. For the very first time @ markets, I Confect is premiering quiches, both regular and gluten free. Specializing in pound cakes, nuts, and more, what's your confection.
- Tigersoap is new to the market this year offering great quality small batch soaps and other lotions.
- DPW to Kick Off DC's First Citywide Food Waste Drop-Off Program in our Neighborhood! Come Compost with Us!
- The Department of Public Works (DPW) will launch the citywide Food Waste Drop-Off program for Ward 4 at 14th & Kennedy Farmers Market on Saturday, May 13 from 9am-1pm District residents wishing to compost the food waste they generate from home for FREE are encouraged to bring, in a sealed container, acceptable compostable food waste items such as fruits, vegetable scraps and food scraps made from grains (breads, grains, cereals , rice and pasta), coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, egg shells, household flowers and nuts and nutshells. After dropping off your food waste, simply take your container back with you and reuse the following week! The first 30 drop off participants will receive a free basil plant.
- Food dropped off at all sites will be turned into compost soil, a natural soil additive that helps grow new food and plants. Through this new initiative, DPW intends to: 1-Divert and compost up to 160 tons of food waste in the first year; 2-Bring awareness to organic waste recovery and the benefits of composting, and 3-Provide tips on how residents can reduce food waste at home.
- DPW's Food Waste Drop-Off is a free service, with sites implemented in all eight wards by the first week of June (additional sites will launch in conjunction with the opening of the farmers market season). More information is available at: dpw.dc.gov/foodwastedropoff
They are looking for new artisan food vendors. If you know of a vendor who would be adaptable to the market’s needs and experienced in morning-oriented outdoor events to be an artisan food vendor, we would love to talk with you about this, contact Jim Coleman.
We are still looking for musicians to play acoustically for tips at the market. If you’ve always wanted to try it, this may be your golden opportunity.
Produce Plus, DC’s fresh veggies incentive program, will start in June.
This week’s menu includes:
- Apples cameo, Fuji and gold rush
- Broccoli raab
- PAC choi
- Herbs - cat nip, stevia,
Groff's Content Farm: Will have their delicious chef prepared meals from Degrees of Cooking using Groff's sustainable meats. They will also have their regular mix of pastured Berkshire pork & sausage, free range chicken & turkey, and pastured beef and lamb products.
Belle Prairie Farm is unfortunately not ready for prime time this week but we hope to see them soon.
Dimitri Olive Oil is vigorously looking for a selling position @ 14th & Kennedy FM. Please inquire here if interested.
Zeke's Coffee of DC will be offering cold brew growlers this season in addition to their great usual mix of small batch roasted coffees, hot and cold coffee by the cup.
Stone Hearth Bakery will have their same great options this week.
LuvPlates is our new hot food vendor for this season!
Kennedy Street Development Corporation will be advertising their Kennedy Street Festival @ the market this week.
Our entertainer this week: Your name here??
Coming Music Attractions for this season include: The Market Band next week on May 20!
Coming Soon for Vendors: Lisa Washington & Sirene Botanicals will be back sometime near June. Dimitri Olive Oil would like to come back this year but needs a selling position to make it happen.
Coming Kids’ Attractions for this season include: Do you have ideas for future kids tents performers or activities (it can be an activity you lead yourself--like a neighbor's fantastic bubble snake idea)? If you have time to volunteer @ the kids' tent and know more folks interested, please email me and Desiree Frame (email@example.com) as we're looking to line up more kids tent activities and performances.
Volunteer and sponsor opportunities abound this season. If interested, please email me.
Thanks for coming to 14th & Kennedy Street Farmers Market. The neighborhood is supportive of the market and we think you rock for coming. We can’t do it without you. What do you want @ market? Do contact us @: firstname.lastname@example.org whenever you’d like.