Shooting on Varnum and 8th leaves two cars on sidewalk and one person shot (updated)

(This article has been updated with new information.)

A violent scene erupted on the 800 block of Varnum Street NW just before 11pm on Sunday night, leaving two cars on the sidewalk, one person dead from a gunshot, a woman screaming, and a lookout for two men and one woman.

From what we’ve been able to ascertain via witnesses and MPD officials, two shots rang out around 10:50pm on Sunday night, leaving a man in a silver car shot in the chest, and the vehicle he was traveling in crashing into an empty Lexus sedan parked on the street, violently pushing both cars onto the sidewalk. A woman was reported to be heard screaming.

EMS on scene of the incident shortly after 11pm.

According to an MPD official on the scene, the victim was found sprawled unconscious and not breathing on the ground next to the silver car suffering from gunshot wounds to the chest. An officer attempted to resuscitate the victim, but the man was pronounced dead at the hospital.

 The decedent has been identified as 28-year-old James Lamont Stewart of Capitol Heights, MD.

The collision broke the rear axle of the parked Lexus, and the first vehicle was left with the engine running, its front end up on the sidewalk, pushed against a retaining wall in front of a construction zone.

Two cars up on the sidewalk on the 800 block of Varnum. The darker, nearer vehicle, had been parked on the street.

MPD has a look out for one black male in a black hooded sweatshirt, a second black male in a white hooded sweatshirt, and a woman last seen running from the scene (it’s not known if she’s a witness or was involved in the incident).

(If you live on the 800 block of Varnum between 8th and 9th Streets NW, MPD has the block closed for the investigation. They hope to have it reopened in the morning. There will be MPD officers on scene in the morning to advise residents, and while you’ll be able to leave your homes, you won’t be able to move your car if it’s parked on the street until the street is reopened.)